Friday 28 August 2009

Kaplicky's Designs Live On


Architect Jan Kaplicky, known for some of the most innovative buildings the world has ever seen, died on January 14th of this year. However many of his best designs remain to be completed and may never be realised. His designs are remarkable in both their aesthetic and technical design. I like them most for their striking beauty and originality. Much of his architecture is influenced by organic forms, his design for the New National Library of the Czech Republic and the Prague Concert and Congress Centre remind me of water , even fish like forms.
Kaplicky won a competition to design the Czech New National Library, however due to controversial reaction to his proposal, plans for its realisation have been cancelled. I still find it's design extremely striking. Much like that of Concert and Congress Centre in Prague that is yet to be finished. I like the smooth, soft lines of both these buildings and the fluid forms.


Jan Kaplincky is more commonly known for his design of the Birmingham Selfridges store, which has become an architectural landmark of the city. Also the Natwest Media Centre at Lord's has been described as one of the most revolutionary buildings of the century. 


What I find even more interesting than the buildings Kaplicky has designed, is his chain of thought and the development of his work from ideas and sketches to the final form. This is evident on his company, future systems, website. 

"The world is full of beautiful things, and you have to be observant as an architect – if not, you are in trouble. Creativity is everywhere. ... The initial idea for a job comes to me literally just like that sometimes, and if that first idea is good then you are on the right track." Jan Kaplicky. This message is the purpose of this brief- to take influence and inspiration from what we see around us to broaden our creativity. 


I have found Jan Kaplicky's work extremely inspiring. The Design Museum are currently holding an exhibition of his work, his sketches and ideas, which therefore I will be visiting this weekend.


To be continued ...

1 comment:

  1. I live in Solihull, West Midlands, so Bullring is an almost local for me. The design did cause quite a stir when it was first unveiled. I like what they do with St. Patrick's day, New Year, etc.. manipulating it's colour's, I don't quite know, but maybe it's the sense of community and unity it brings.
    I think the overall architecture will eventually become quite dated, but for now, the job has been done well. Buildings and their aesthetic structure never last a decade in our judgmental and ever-adapting, trend obsessed climate anyway, so why dwell. It provides a good home for Selfridges, which I think sits nicely and proudly in the edges of it's huge bubble.

    Good job I say.

    ReplyDelete