Monday 24 August 2009

Dreams From My Father

I am currently reading Barack Obama's autobiography. Initially worried I may have found this book heavy going, and dare I say, a little boring as I am not particularly interested in politics, it has been very pleasantly surprising. This honest and beautifully written memoir retells Obama's improbable life story; of his parents- a black African father and a white American mother, of his childhood in Indonesia, and his personal struggle for identity and belonging. 

There are two reasons this book has held my attention throughout. First being Obama's descriptions of the race-relations in America as a child. I find it unbelievable how much society has changed in one mans lifetime, from being an outcast at his own school, to President of the United States. His story is one of self-creation, an embodiment of the American dream.

Most importantly, and most relevant to this blog, is Barack Obama's ability to communicate. It has assisted him to his political position and is what makes this book such a compelling and lyrical read. Obama's eloquence illustrates the power of language, how when used well it can communicate more effectively than any image. His words have the capacity to persuade, uplift and inspire his audience. All too often written language is overlooked in design and advertising, in favour of visual language. I think it is important not to forget the potential it bears. I wish to explore this further in my research, and find examples of language used powerfully in advertising and design. 

"With the right words everything could change- South Africa, the lives of the ghetto kids just a few miles away, my own tenuous place in the world." Barack Obama, 'Dreams From My Father'.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it could be a very interesting read, I'm not one of reading but from what you've told us its communicated very well and conveys a message.
    Barak Obama's language whether he's communicating verbally or written seems to really have real power behind it and he has an ability to address controversial or negative subjects in an up lifting way. I think that's either a skill he has or the research done into the communication is immense, I hope your research goes well.

    ReplyDelete